Unix/Linux dynamic DNS client

Feel free to ask any questions related to DNSEver. This forum is run by volunteers. There is no guarantee your question will be answered
You have to sign in http://www.DNSEver.com before you can post

Unix/Linux dynamic DNS client

Postby thekyle » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:57 pm

First of all, I want to take this opportunity to say that I'm glad I found DNSEver. It does everything I wanted it to do and more, and all free of charge. Keep up the great work, it is highly appreciated.

And now for the question. :) I'm aware of the instructions for updating my dynamic DNS hosts on Linux/Unix systems, but I'd like to use an existing client if possible. I am also thinking of writing my own client software if no compatible client exists. Does anyone know of an existing dynamic DNS client for Linux/Unix that is compatible with DNSEver? If not, I'll write my own and post it here.
thekyle

Re: Unix/Linux dynamic DNS client

Postby thekyle » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:44 pm

Actually, looking at the dynamic DNS usage instructions again, the update command is quite simple. Probably the only thing that needs to be done to make a fully automatic client would be to add a little code that allows configuration of hostnames and then runs the update command for any configured hostnames only if the IP address has changed. It may also b nice to set the configured hostnames online at startup and offline on shutdown. If nothing already does this, I will go ahead and write my own public domain DNSEver update client for Unix/Linux and post it here when I'm satisfied with it.
thekyle

Return to User Forum