Help, can't add a domain

Feel free to ask any questions related to DNSEver. This forum is run by volunteers. There is no guarantee your question will be answered
You have to sign in http://www.DNSEver.com before you can post

Help, can't add a domain

Postby thekyle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:16 pm

I need to add several domains to my account, but I get error messages every time I try to add one or more domains. Whenever I add the 4 domains in the bulk add section all at once, I get an error message that lists each of them and tells me that they are either forbidden by the manager or added incorrectly. I couldn't figure out the meaning of this error message, so I tried adding a single domain (picospeaker.tk) to my account individually. The error message I received is as follows:

Error: the subdomain tk has been forbidden by the manager.

Sorry, this isn't pasted, it's entered from memory, but it appears very similar to this. So I still don't understand the error, since I already have the domain kyle.tk on my account, which I added just two months ago, and also, tk is not a subdomain, but is rather the top-level domain extension. Please help as soon as possible, as picospeaker.tk is a website for a free, public domain speech synthesizer interface that I wrote myself, and is currently unavailable, due to the web host going offline. I need to be able to get this and at least 3 other domains added as soon as possible. The other domains, in case anyone can help with this, are:

unlicense.tk (A backup/mirror of the public domain website http://unlicense.org)
pasting.tk (a pastebin alternative that uses an open source PHP paste script)
tweaky.tk (a wrapper for tweak.tk that allows it to be used with http://dlvr.it to shorten links)

Thanks for any help.
thekyle

Re: Help, can't add a domain

Postby admin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 am

Sorry, this isn't pasted, it's entered from memory, but it appears very similar to this. So I still don't understand the error, since I already have the domain kyle.tk on my account, which I added just two months ago, and also, tk is not a subdomain, but is rather the top-level domain extension.

Althogh .tk domain is a top-level domain, the subdomain of .tk for which addition has been forbidden since year 2012, because subdomains of .tk domain are widely used for spam email, illegal sites.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help, can't add a domain

Postby thekyle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm

admin wrote:

Sorry, this isn't pasted, it's entered from memory, but it appears very similar to this. So I still don't understand the error, since I already have the domain kyle.tk on my account, which I added just two months ago, and also, tk is not a subdomain, but is rather the top-level domain extension.

Althogh .tk domain is a top-level domain, the subdomain of .tk for which addition has been forbidden since year 2012, because subdomains of .tk domain are widely used for spam email, illegal sites.

Quoting from the whois record of any .tk domain name:

ABUSE OF A DOMAIN NAME
If you want to report abuse of this domain name, please send a
detailed email with your complaint to abuse@dot.tk.
In most cases Dot TK responds to abuse complaints within one business day.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
If you want to report a case of copyright infringement, please send
an email to copyright@dot.tk, and include the full name and address of
your organization. Within 5 business days copyright infringement notices
will be investigated.

Dot TK, the registrar of all .tk domain names, has a very strict abuse policy. If someone who is using a .tk domain is violating that policy by using the domain name for illegal sites, spam e-mail, phishing, etc., such violations are to be reported to the e-mail addresses I quoted. It is extremely unfair to your prospective and existing customers, and even harmful to your credibility as a company, to forbid adding .tk domains because you feel that they are misused to send spam e-mail and to run illegal sites. If you are going to forbid adding .tk domains, consider the fact that more spammers use .com, .net, .org, and especially .info and .biz than will ever use something like .tk, because .com, .net and .org are somehow seen by the general public as magically trustworthy, and because pavp4l.com looks a lot more like paypal.com than paypal.tk does, which incidentally is already registered with an invalid DNS record so that it can't be used for spam or anything else illegal. Not to mention the fact that .info and .biz tend to attract a rather large number of illegal sites, scams, etc. for some reason. So if you are in the business of forbidding people to use your services based on a top-level domain alone, then by all means, forbid .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, and maybe even .cc and .ws as well as .tv. Anyone can purchase any of those domain names as long as they have enough money to purchase them, and if they want to run illegal sites or scams and send spam e-mails, they will be getting enough of a return on their investment to go ahead and purchase the ones that most people have been conditioned to trust without question. Forbidding the use of an entire top-level domain does much more to hurt legitimate customers who just want to publish their legitimate sites than it will ever do to stop spam, phishing, scams and other illegal activities.

Having said this, because nearly 7 months passed between the time of my initial inquiry and your response, and because of the fact that I finally just now found this post on Google while searching for something entirely unrelated, I feel it fair to inform you of the actions I have taken to ensure that my legitimate sites remain online and accessible. Firstly, since my DNSEver.com account is no longer being used, I will be deleting it from your system as soon as I have added this post to this topic. Additionally, I have already moved my primary domain, kyle.tk, and also added the rest of my legitimate websites that I tried to add on DNSEver.com, to DNSExit, because to this day, they have no problem with the top-level domain registry I am using for my legal sites. I also plan to cite this topic, including the extremely long response time and your overly aggressive policy of forbidding use of an entire top-level domain, as I recommend your competitor to friends, family and anyone else who is looking for static and dynamic DNS services for their own legitimate domains, even domains obtained from more established registrars.

In the future, in order to keep existing customers, and to avoid turning away prospective customers, please deal with illegal sites that use your services by terminating their accounts and/or reporting them to the appropriate authorities. This type of action will do much more to stop abuse of your services and illegal activities than a wholesale refusal to host DNS for entire top-level domains.
thekyle

Return to User Forum